Forbes Wheels independently tests and reviews cars and car accessories. We may receive an affiliate commission for links on our site. The analyzes and opinions are ours.
In terms of numbers, seven is allegorical; seven days a week, lucky seven, seven sins, seventh son, and in the automotive world, a vehicle with seven passengers. When life calls for transporting people and their belongings with a minimum of fuss, a seven-seat SUV or crossover is probably for you.
These three-row workhorses are not always the same size, perfect for families on the move. Still, they tend to race towards the larger end of the mid-size crossover segment to maximize passenger comfort and cargo capacity. It's true that minivans may offer more austere interior space, but if you take the wheel off the road or hitch up a large trailer, you'll quickly find out where SUVs excel and where minivans don't.
This popular segment continues to grow, as evidenced by the arrival of striking newcomers in recent years such as the Kia Telluride and the first three-row Jeep Grand Cherokee L. The number of options can be overwhelming. So here we help break down this year's 7-seater SUVs that deliver the best passenger experience across all three rows along with solid cargo capacity, taking into account familiar features such as sticker price, fuel economy, active safety offerings and good road manners.
Here are the best 7-seat SUVs for 2022. Since some 2023 models are on their way, we've included vehicles from the 2022 and 2023 model years here. Check out our methodology below the list to see how we rate the vehicles.
Read less see more information
Which 7-seat SUV is the cheapest?
Value means many things to many people, but most would agree that "value" refers to price rather than product quality and features in the broadest sense. In this regard, the Kia Sorrento and Kia Telluride are hard to beat. While many come close in price, they often fall short of the amount of standard Kia equipment and features. If you're serious about off-roading, a Jeep is a logical choice for obvious reasons.
Which 7-seat SUV is the most comfortable?
Let's face it - if your definition of comfort specifically relates to personal space, a minivan is a much better choice. But if you're into an SUV, the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade offer the best combination of space and an overall sense of quality interior materials.
Which 7-seat SUV is the safest?
Of the 12 SUVs on this list, 10 earned the maximum overall rating of 5 stars in the NHTSA crash tests. Only the Kia Sorento and the Dodge Durango missed the mark, but not by much as both earned commendable four stars. The whole group had a few random stars deducted here and there in certain roll and side impact tests, but the concerns were minimal enough not to affect the overall score. Suffice it to say that the segment of 7-seat SUVs includes cars that are extremely safe.
Which 7-seat SUV offers the most space?
In relation to the total combined legroom for passengers in all three rowsKia Telluridereceives the trophy. But manufacturers allocate space differently. For example, the Toyota Highlander has the most front legroom at 44.2 inches compared to the Telluride's 41.7 inches, but the third row of seats offers just 27.7 inches, second only to the Outlander in terms of cramped spaces. .
In terms of total cargo space, the Chevrolet Traverse ranks first with 98.2 cubic feet of space when the third and second row seats are folded down. ABOUTAtlas of Volkswagenin second place with 96 cubic feet, the Acura MDX takes bronze with 95 cubic feet. After the third-row doubling, the order changes slightly, with Traverse still in first place with a 57.2 and the Honda Pilot's 55.9 knuckles beating the Atlas's 55.8 for second and third respectively.
This list includes a combination of 2022 and 2023 model year vehicles. We rate our 7-seater SUVs based on passenger experience in all three rows, payload and capacity, fuel economy, handling and sticker price. Our rating methodology has been expanded from five to seven categories for 2022. As a result, ratings for the same vehicle may vary slightly between the two model years.
For 2022, our ranking categories are:
- Fuel saving
- information and entertainment
- A comfortable room
- Loading and storage area
- Styl i design
Total: 100 points
- Achievements (15 points)The performance score is one Subjective evaluation of the vehicle's handling, braking, acceleration, ride quality and other qualitative performance measures such as horsepower, torque, zero-60 time and top speed. The towing capacity of trucks and SUVs is also taken into account. Vehicle performance is compared to an identified competitor set. During the ride, evaluators look for attributes related to the expectations of the producer and consumer.
- Fuel consumption (15 points)The fuel economy score is based on the total mpg estimate for the full range of models and a comparison of that figure with a specific competitor. Mpg estimates are based on EPA data or manufacturer data if EPA data is not available. Hybrid and plug-in electric variants on offer that are well below the overall average are not included in the comparison, unless the competitor's lineup also has hybrid or PHEV variants. The pure electric vehicle score is based on kilowatts per 100 miles and comparative miles per equivalent gallon or MPGe.
- Safety (15 points)The safety rating is based on the results of crash tests conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Vehicles that have not yet been rated by any agency will receive zero points. The safety rating also includes points awarded for certain advanced driver assistance safety features offered as standard on base equipment. There are nine safety features that Forbes Wheels considers mandatory in the standard offering: Automatic Front Emergency Braking, Forward Collision Warning, Automatic High Beam, Blind Spot Monitoring, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Adaptive Cruise Control and Departure Warning or higher level variants . , Lane Keeping Assist or Lane Centering. To receive points, vehicles must have at least four in their standard range. Vehicles with a level 2 autonomous system (a combination of adaptive cruise control and lane centering) are eligible for a bonus point.
- Infotainment (15 points)The infotainment score is based on points awarded for specific features offered as standard equipment on base equipment. Forbes Wheels identifies certain features that are becoming increasingly popular and have therefore been adopted by premium and mainstream car manufacturers. Some of these features include at least a 7-inch touchscreen (or premium vehicles that use a dial, touchpad, or other mechanism to operate the non-touch screen), wired Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, digitally customizable display or instrument, driver information pad and at least 2 USB ports. Bonus points are awarded for popular features not commonly found in popular vehicles, such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto wireless and wireless charging capabilities.
- Comfort and space (15 points)The rating of comfort and space is based on the scores given by the reviewer in evaluating the comfort, ergonomics and overall impression of the interior of the vehicle, as well as the efficient use of space. Points are also awarded for measuring legroom in the rear seats and comparing it to a competitor. Vehicles with the most legroom in the rear or the optional third row of seats qualify for a bonus point.
- Cargo and storage space (15 points)The Cargo Space & Storage score is based on the scores given by the reviewer for evaluating the vehicle's large and small cargo spaces (as well as space for storing small items) and the extent to which they serve their purpose and use space efficiently. Reviewers also consider innovative storage solutions and flexible charging options. Points are also awarded for cargo space dimensions for the rear cargo hold or boot and comparing them to a specific competitor package. Vehicles that offer the best cargo or boot space qualify for a bonus point.
- Style (10 points)The performance score is one a subjective assessment of the vehicle's overall style and appearance, inside and out. Reviewers also consider the interior setup and execution of design in function. Build quality is also taken into account.
1. Skoda Kodiaq. The Kodiaq is not only big enough to take seven occupants and plenty of luggage, but it's priced very keenly too.Which car is best for 7 people? ›
|Model||Price in New Delhi|
|Toyota Innova Crysta||Rs. 19.99 - 25.43 Lakh*|
|Mahindra XUV700||Rs. 14.01 - 26.18 Lakh*|
|Maruti Ertiga||Rs. 8.64 - 13.08 Lakh*|
|Land Rover Range Rover||Rs. 2.39 - 4.17 Cr*|
1. Skoda Kodiaq. The Kodiaq is not only big enough to take seven occupants and plenty of luggage, but it's priced very keenly too.Which 7-passenger SUV has the best resale value? ›
The Toyota Land Cruiser has the best resale value among three-row SUVs. The Land Cruiser retains 65.1 percent of its value after 5 years, with an average price of $69,358 for 5-year-old models. The Land Cruiser's resale value puts it 10.6 percent above the resale value average for three-row SUVs, which is 54.5 percent.Which SUV has most room in 2nd row? ›
The Kia Telluride is a top choice because it has 42.4 inches of legroom in the second row and a slightly higher interior score than the Palisade, which came in second. It's hard to decide between these two midsize SUVs because they both have the same platform and drivetrain.What is the safest 7 seater car? ›
Among family SUVs, the Volvo XC90 is king. That's partly because it's one of the safest around, but also because it came as standard with seven seats, setting a trend which other SUVs are only just starting to follow.
FAQs on 7 Seater Cars in India
A. Maruti Ertiga, Toyota Innova Crysta, Kia Carens, Mahindra XUV700, and Tata Safari are among the best 7 seater cars in India under Rs 30 lakh.
Best 7 Seater Car Under 10 Lakh in India: In India in 2023, there will be 31 7 Seater automobiles available. Toyota Innova Crysta, Kia Carens, Tata Safari, Renault Triber, and Hyundai Alcazar are other popular 7-seater vehicles. The Maruti Suzuki Eeco is India's most affordable 7-seater vehicle.Can I fit 8 people in a 7 seater? ›
It would also be illegal to seat 8 people in a 7 passenger vehicle in the USA because of the seat belt laws and infant seat laws! Everyone must be belted in especially the children! I have had two cars that seat 8, a Ford Excursion and a Chevy Astro.What is the longest 7-seater SUV? ›
The Defender 130 competes with other three row 7-seater luxury SUVs but the Defender 130 is the longest of them all and is also packing the most amount of storage space.
The former is the best all-rounder, but if you want added efficiency then the diesel is the one to go for, offering up to 53.3mpg. Inside, the Touran is very spacious, as you'd imagine. There's lots of space for luggage, the dog and up to seven people – it's the Tardis of the car world.
- 2023 Cadillac Escalade ESV - $82,295 | Cargo Capacity: 142.8 Cubic Feet | Overall Score: 8.5.
- 2023 GMC Yukon XL - $60,100 | Max Cargo Capacity: 144.7 Cubic Feet | Overall Score: 8.1.
- 2023 Chevrolet Suburban - $56,900 | Cargo Capacity: 144.7 Cubic Feet | Overall Score: 8.2.
The Best Suv cars in India include Mahindra Thar (Rs. 10.54 Lakh), Maruti Jimny (Rs. 12.74 Lakh), Kia Seltos (Rs. 10.89 Lakh), Toyota Fortuner (Rs.What is the best used SUV that holds its value? ›
- 2022 Subaru Crosstrek. 5-year resale value: 52.3% ...
- 2022 Subaru Forester. 5-year resale value: 47.2% ...
- 2022 Subaru Outback. 5-year resale value: 45.2% ...
- 2022 Kia Telluride. 5-year resale value: 51.9% ...
- 2022 GMC Yukon. ...
- 2022 Toyota 4Runner. ...
- 2022 Volvo XC40. ...
- 2022 Mercedes-Benz GLB.
The Nissan Pathfinder has the most legroom in the front row while the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade offer the most second-row legroom. Which midsize SUV has the roomiest third row?What SUV has the most room in 2023? ›
2023 Jeep Grand Wagoneer L: 226.7 inches
For those who don't find the Wagoneer large enough, the 2023 Jeep Grand Wagoneer L adds even more interior space. Near the very apex of the largest full-size SUVs currently available, the Grand Wagoneer is more like a massive rolling luxury suite than merely a nice SUV.
According to the IIHS, which is funded by the insurance industry, Toyota and Lexus rack up the most awards, followed by Honda and Acura. Mazda comes in next. Both small SUVs and midsized luxury SUVs take home the most wins, although the list includes vehicles of all types.What is the cheapest 7-seater to insure? ›
One of the cheapest seven-seaters on the market, the Dacia Jogger is perfect for families who are on a budget and want to reduce insurance overheads. The one engine available is a 1.0-litre, three-cylinder petrol engine, which isn't quick but can get off the line sharp enough at a junction.Does Ford have a 7 passenger vehicle? ›
Every Expedition model comes with 3rd-row seating as standard. The Expedition also has room for up to 8 passengers, while the Explorer only has room for seven. Check out our selection of new and used Expedition SUVs for sale nationwide.
What is an MPV? Until recently, multi-purpose vehicles had traditionally been the choice for families with three or more children. They've also proved popular with anyone who has to regularly ferry kids around. The appeal has always been seven seats.
Arona is the top seller in SEAT's SUV range, surpassing 1 million units in 6 years. The 1 millionth SUV was none other than a SEAT Arona, always at the forefront. Since its launch in 2017, SEAT's first urban SUV has become the brand's most popular car, with 481,585 units sold globally.Which car is best for family? ›
- Maruti Suzuki Baleno.
- Tata Tigor.
- Maruti Suzuki Swift.
- Maruti Vitara Brezza.
- Tata Nexon.
- Toyota Innova Crysta.
- Kia Carens.
- Mahindra XUV700.
With room for seven or eight passengers depending on configuration, Sienna is extraordinarily accommodating.What vehicle will fit 8 people? ›
- 2023 Subaru Ascent. Price With 8-Passenger Seating: $33,895. ...
- 2023 Chevrolet Traverse. Price With 8-Passenger Seating: $34,520. ...
- 2023 Nissan Pathfinder. Price With 8-Passenger Seating: $35,200. ...
- 2024 Kia Telluride. ...
- 2023 Hyundai Palisade. ...
- 2023 Honda Pilot. ...
- 2023 Toyota Highlander. ...
- 2024 Mazda CX-90.
7 to 9 seats (and beyond, if needed)What large SUV lasts the longest? ›
- Toyota Land Cruiser. Toyota Land Cruiser. Hollis Johnson/Business Insider. % Chance of lasting 250,000+ miles: 47.9% ...
- Toyota Sequoia. 2020 Toyota Sequoia. Toyota. % Chance of lasting 250,000+ miles: 47.1% ...
- Honda Pilot. Honda Pilot. Hollis Johnson/Business Insider. ...
- Toyota 4Runner.
Definition and Characteristics of a Full-Size SUV
Some notable features of a full-size SUV include the power to tow large items and handle rough terrain, a plethora of space for either passengers or cargo, and 7-8 seats (including the driver) with 3 rows in total. As for the seating, there are 2 types of arrangements.
A full-size SUV is a basic sports utility vehicle with seating for 7 passengers- some do have room for 8 passengers. The spacious interior and extra storage space make these large SUV rentals the perfect choice for road trips, family vacations, camping trips, and other group excursions.What is the difference between MPV and 7 seater SUV? ›
The SUV has seats with a capacity of 7 people and is made as comfortable as possible while traveling with better suspension support. Meanwhile, MPV-type cars can accommodate 7 to 9 people, bigger than SUVs because MPV cars are meant for family cars.
What is the seating capacity of Hyundai Tucson. A. The seating capacity of Hyundai Tucson is 5.
BMW X3 is a 5 seater Car.What midsize SUV has most head and legroom? ›
- 2023 Chevrolet Tahoe. Combined Headroom/Legroom: Up to 86.8 in. ...
- 2023 Cadillac Escalade‑V. Combined Headroom/Legroom: Up to 86.8 in. ...
- 2023 GMC Yukon. Combined Headroom/Legroom: Up to 86.8 in. ...
- 2023 Cadillac Escalade. Combined Headroom/Legroom: Up to 86.8 in. ...
- 2023 Nissan Pathfinder. ...
- 2023 Ford Bronco.
The 2023 Kia Telluride starts at $35,890 for the base LX trim, and it comes with desirable features like a 12.3-inch touch screen, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, proximity keyless entry and synthetic leather upholstery.Which full size SUV has the most 2nd row legroom? ›
|Make/Model||Front Row||Second Row|
- 8 2023 Acura RDX.
- 7 2023 Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid.
- 6 2023 Mazda CX-5.
- 5 2023 Toyota Highlander Hybrid.
- 4 2023 Lexus GX.
- 3 2023 Lincoln Corsair.
- 2 2023 Kia EV6.
- 1 2023 Lexus NX Hybrid.
Vehicles you can Depend On
Top crossover SUVs according to mechanics include the Toyota Highlander and Lexus GX luxury SUV. The GX was named Consumer Report's most reliable vehicle in 2022.
World Best Selling SUV Ranking in Q1 2023 sees the Tesla Model Y as new leader, surging 55.4% in sales. Nissan Rogue (+65.2%) and Volkswagen T-Roc (+20.6%) both enter the Top 10 jumping more than 10 spots.Who is the king of SUV? ›
Toyota Fortuner User Reviews
In my overall assessment, I would rate this car highly. It offers excellent comfort and affordability. I recommend purchasing this car and enjoying the ride.
Ex-Showroom price). The prices for the top 5 popular luxury cars are:Toyota Fortuner Price is Rs. 41.21 Lakh, BMW X1 Price is Rs. 45.90 Lakh, Land Rover Defender Price is Rs.Which 7 passenger SUV has the best resale value? ›
The Toyota Land Cruiser has the best resale value among three-row SUVs. The Land Cruiser retains 65.1 percent of its value after 5 years, with an average price of $69,358 for 5-year-old models. The Land Cruiser's resale value puts it 10.6 percent above the resale value average for three-row SUVs, which is 54.5 percent.
The Acura MDX ranks #1 for the most reliable luxury crossover SUVs (9.3 reliability rating). The most reliable three-row SUV is the Toyota Land Cruiser (9.8 reliability rating) and the most reliable luxury three-row SUV is the Lincoln Navigator (9.8 reliability rating).Which car holds its value the longest? ›
Overall, the models determined to hold onto their values the most tenaciously among all 2023 vehicles after five years handily beat the industry average. These include the Toyota Tundra (73.3%) and Tacoma (66.0%), Tesla Model X (66.0%), Ford Bronco (65.4%), and the Chevrolet Corvette (65.3%).Which crossover is the most reliable? ›
The most reliable crossover SUV is the Honda Pilot with a 8.6 out of 10 reliability score. The Toyota Highlander is the second most reliable crossover SUV with a rating of 8.5 out of 10.What is the most fuel efficient SUV crossover? ›
Models not ranked yet
The Nissan Rogue is the most fuel-efficient crossover SUV with an EPA rating of 33 MPG. The second-ranked Nissan Kicks also earns 33 MPG, while the third-ranked Hyundai Kona earns 32 MPG.
An MPV is a minivan, or people carrier, designed to carry five to seven in comfort. An SUV is designed primarily to be an on and off-road vehicle. And a crossover is a mix between a family sedan and an SUV.Which is better SUV or crossover? ›
An SUV is as fast and agile as a car, can carry and tow weights similar to a pickup truck, and can handle different terrains like an ATV (all-terrain vehicle). Compared to a crossover, an SUV is usually a lot bigger, bulkier, more powerful, and can handle rough terrains while being more spacious and comfortable.What are the drawbacks of a crossover? ›
The main disadvantage of a crossover design is that carryover effects may be aliased (confounded) with direct treatment effects, in the sense that these effects cannot be estimated separately. You think you are estimating the effect of treatment A but there is also a bias from the previous treatment to account for.Do any SUVs get 40 mpg? ›
2023 Honda CR-V Hybrid • 40 mpg
The CR-V Hybrid provides composed handling and a smooth ride. It includes several standard ADAS features. The CR-V Hybrid has a 204-horsepower hybrid powertrain that gives it peppy acceleration and up to 40 mpg. The CR-V Hybrid is more expensive than most compact hybrid SUVs, however.
In terms of the best time of the year, October, November and December are safe bets. Car dealerships have sales quotas, which typically break down into yearly, quarterly and monthly sales goals. All three goals begin to come together late in the year.Is there an SUV that gets 50 mpg? ›
The 2022 Kia Niro Hybrid is the hybrid SUV with the best gas mileage of any 2022 SUV: 53 mpg in the city, and 48 mpg on the highway, for a combined EPA rating of 50 mpg. Considering the average 2022 vehicle gets 27 mpg, you can save $6,000 a year with the Kia Niro Hybrid, according to the EPA.
Crossover vs SUV: Safety
How does the safety of a crossover size up? Well, they're much the same. The larger your car, the less likely you're going to be injured - so an SUV is marginally safer due to its slightly bigger size. However, that also means that the SUV is more likely to topple over.
A crossover SUV (CUV) is a multi-passenger vehicle with car-like unibody construction. Crossovers tend to provide a more comfortable ride, better fuel economy, and a safer passenger environment.